Effective Date: August 9, 2018
We, BetaFish, Inc., ("BetaFish"; "we"), have developed the browser extension AdBlock, which can be downloaded at our website and other domains. AdBlock is a free extension that allows you to customize your web experience. You can block annoying ads, disable tracking, block domains known to spread malware and lots more. It's available for all major browsers, including Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Edge. AdBlock uses filters that you choose to block unwanted elements.
What does that mean?
What does "AdBlock is free to use" mean?
Non-permitted use of AdBlock
Please note that some website owners may not permit ad-blocking users to view their website. That must be respected, especially in the following cases:
- You must not use AdBlock on websites where you have agreed not to use it, i.e. by agreeing to Terms of Services on the respective website, not to use any ad blockers.
- You are not permitted to use AdBlock in connection with any tools to circumvent technological measures that effectively control access to websites.
What are Acceptable Ads?
BetaFish, Inc. participates in Eyeo's Acceptable Ads program. By default, these nonintrusive ads aren't blocked when using AdBlock in order to support websites (learn more). You can disable this feature at any time by opting out. This does not affect AdBlock's ability to function.
Within the Acceptable Ads program the following rules have and always will apply to everyone, without exception:
- Participants cannot pay to avoid the criteria. Every enabled ad must comply.
- For transparency, Eyeo ads all Acceptable Ads to its forum so that users can provide feedback.
- If an Acceptable Ads proposal is flagged by the community for a legitimate reason, it will be removed from the whitelist.
What if AdBlock does not work properly?
AdBlock is provided "as is" and on an "as available" basis. Your use of AdBlock is at your own risk. BetaFish, Inc. makes no warranty or condition that AdBlock will meet your requirements or be uninterrupted, timely, secure or error-free:
- BetaFish, Inc. makes no warranty or condition that all ads will be blocked; in particular Acceptable Ads will be shown in AdBlock’s default setting.
- You acknowledge and understand that the filters used may occasionally lead to blocked content. This is an unwanted side effect of some filters and cannot be completely avoided.
- AdBlock itself has no functionality; it does not block anything until you "tell" it what to block by adding external filter lists. Filter lists are essentially an extensive set of rules that tell AdBlock which elements of a website to block. BetaFish, Inc. has no influence on those filter lists.
In the case that you detect any defect or incorrect blocking, including the blocking of content, inform us as soon as possible.